After a cold and windy training on Thursday it was great to come home to dinner already cooked!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
8 chicken thighs, chopped into bite sized bits
1 medium onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 400g tin crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 sliced of halved black or kalamata olives
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp mixed herbs
salt & pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish
The "easy ain't nobody got time for that" method
1. Throw it all in the slow cooker, stir, set, forget. 4 hours on high. 6-8 hours on low. It may need thickening before serving.
The "I have a little bit more time to waste on cooking" method
Add this to the ingredient list
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp oil
- Coat chicken in flour seasoned with extra salt, pepper & mixed herbs
- Heat half the oil in saucepan and cook onion and garlic until soft. Add to slowcooker
- Heat remaining oil and cook chicken in batches until brown. Add to slowcooker.
- Use the red wine to deglaze the saucepan and add to slowcooker
- Add stock, paste, tin tomatoes, olives and mixed herb to slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
You could serve this on its own or with whatever you wanted to really. Mash potato. Pasta. Rice. Polenta. Cous Cous. Quinoa. Whatever.
|Ready to be cooked. Didn't get a photo before we gobbled it all up!|
Do you crush on your slow cooker during the cooler months too???
You can also follow me on
Twitter | @AussieHausfrau
Instagram | @aussie_hausfrau
If you've been following me on facebook you may or may not know that I have registered for a 220km bike ride for the Perth Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2013. This is a cause close to my heart as I have lost some very special people to this horrible disease. As part of my entry I need to fund raise a minimum of $2500 to take part in the actual ride. I really hate asking for donations but I've been told that it's the only way! Do you have a spare $2? Every little bit helps. All money raised will go directly to support cancer patients and their families and all donations $2 and over are tax deductible. Thank you!!