Sunday 19 May 2013

Gulaschsuppe - A soup to warm your soul


Yesterday Mr Hausfrau announced that he would cook dinner.










After I finished my happy dance I told him that I was planning on making  beef and veg soup so he pulled out one of his old chef cook books and suggested this little beauty

Green Turtle Soup?? Eeeeewwwww!!

No not the turtle soup. The Gulyás leves. It's Gulaschsuppe, or Goulash Soup. A Hungarian soup. It's a delicious hearty soup that is perfect for crappy cooler weather.

The recipe translated for you. (and tweaked a little by the chef)

1kg beef, diced small
4 large potatoes, diced small
1 large onion, diced small
1 rep capsium, diced small (we used half a red and half a green 'cause that's all we had)
2lt beef stock (Veg stock would work too)
200ml red wine
A little extra wine (to deglaze, not to drink!)
2tbsp oil (veg, canola, whatever)
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 clove garlic, crushed
2tbsp paprika (you can mix this up with sweet paprika or a spicy one)
1tsp marjoram
2tsp salt
2tsp cumin

What the chef did while I sat with a glass of wine and watched

  1. Cook off the onions until they're "translucent" (His word not mine) - add the garlic just before the onions are ready. Remove and set aside.
  2. Brown the meat.
  3. Keeping the meat in the pot deglaze with that extra wine (if you haven't drunk it yet)
  4. Return the onions to the pot and add all other ingredients.
  5. Bring the soup to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour. Keep the lid on but with a slight gap.


Serve with nice crusty bread slathered with butter! (Note to self, an extra hour in the gym is needed this week) You could probably serve with sour cream too. We didn't, just a sprinkle of fresh chives and cracked pepper.

Not the best photo. Taken by my iPhone in bad light. I was too eager to eat it!


That's it! It serves 8! (Well it served 4 last night and again for lunch today with a little still left over that I'll be gobbling up again tomorrow!)

Mr Hausfrau said that if he was to do anything different next time he would add some tomato paste to make it more "tomato'y"

If you make it let me know.











You can also follow me on
Twitter | @AussieHausfrau
Instagram | @aussie_hausfrau

If you've been following me on facebook you may or may not know that I have registered for a 220km bike ride  for the Perth Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2013. This is a cause close to my heart as I have lost some very special people to this horrible disease. As part of my entry I need to fund raise a minimum of $2500 to take part in the actual ride. I really hate asking for donations but I've been told that it's the only way! Do you have a spare $2? Every little bit helps. All money raised will go directly to support cancer patients and their families and all donations $2 and over are tax deductible. Thank you!!
















6 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! last time I cooked something like this in the morning with red wine - I had a visitor turn up while I was 'tasting' the wine to make sure it was good enough to cook with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow that sounds delicious!!!!! Definitely something I'd like to cook!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do! It was full of flavour and definitley a winner!

      Delete
  3. made me feel warmer just reading it :)
    surely you can drink a little of the red not just for deglazing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's very doable!

    I'll have to change the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave me a comment. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! {I've removed "Anonymous Users" as I was getting waaaaaay too much stupid spammy comments!}